IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the overwhelming response, we are temporarily not accepting new submissions at this time.
- Do you want to be a personal finance writer, but you don’t have the time or technical patience to start your own website?
- Do you want to start making money right away from your writing, rather than waiting weeks or months for advertising revenue to start coming in?
- Are you an existing personal finance writer frustrated by low ad payouts and/or looking to reach a large audience?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then Punny Money wants to pay you to write for us!
We’re looking for talented writers who would like to share their knowledge of personal finance topics with the Punny Money reading audience and earn some extra cash on the side. There’s no limit to how much you can earn writing for Punny Money, and our tier-based payment structure rewards those who keep writing for us.
What We’re Looking For
If you’re a regular reader, you already know what makes a great Punny Money article. If not, here’s what we’re looking for:
- It’s about personal finance. Punny Money is a personal finance website. Personal finance includes a wide spectrum of topics including (but not limited to) saving, budgeting, spending, investments, gaining and using credit, making money, working, paying taxes… pretty much anything having to do with people and money.
- It’s uniquely informative or educational. Punny Money is looking for original ideas, not information regurgitated from other sources.
- It’s humorous and entertaining. Personal finance can be a dry subject, but not at Punny Money! All articles undergo a rigorous 67-point humor and entertainment inspection before being released to the general public. A good sense of humor and knowledge of how to keep a reader entertained are an absolute must!
- It’s concise and captivating. Punny Money articles must grab the attention of the reader and get to the point quickly. While longer articles will be considered, length is far less important than content. Articles must, however, have a minimum length of 500 words to be considered for publication.
How You Get Paid
If your article is selected for publication on Punny Money, the absolute bare minimum you’ll make is $10. After your fifth published article, your rate will increase to $15 per article. After your 20th article, you’ll receive $20 per article. Bonuses will also be paid (at the discretion of the webmaster) for especially detailed, lengthy, or content-filled articles or if your article draws high traffic or readership participation. The following table summarizes the current Punny Money writing fees.
|Number of your articles published||Per-article rate|
|1 -5 (Tier 1)||$10|
|6 – 20 (Tier 2)||$15|
|21+ (Tier 3)||$20|
|Discretionary length/content bonuses||$5 – $15|
|Other discretionary bonuses||$5 – ???|
Payment is sent to you by check each time an article you’ve written is published, no minimum payout required. Optionally, you can request that checks only be sent when you’ve earned a certain amount.
Please note that if you earn $600 or more publishing articles on Punny Money in a single tax year, you will be asked to provide your social security or Federal tax identification number, and information about your earnings may be disclosed to the United States Internal Revenue Service.
***Special Limited Time Offer Bonus!!!*** The first five writers to have articles approved for publishing will be skipped to Tier 2 immediately. That means you make $15 on each of your first 20 articles and $20 after that! In addition, the first five writers to have five articles approved for publishing will receive a $50 bonus! (July 24, 2007 6:10pm EDT: We’ve got our first five writers, so the first bonus has expired, but keep submitting because the five-article bonus is still up for grabs!)
What Else Is In It For You?
Good writers will be invited to write more. More writing means more money for you!
Writers can include their own blurb at the end of each article. You can provide information about yourself, including a link to your own website, in this blurb. Here’s an example:
Bob Jones is a software engineer and freelance writer from Cleveland, Ohio. He publishes a blog about widgets at Bob’s Widget Blog. He lives with his three wives and seven children in a floating castle made of cheese.
So not only do you get paid, but you can also get publicity for your own interwebical operations.
How to Get Started
Getting your article published on Punny Money is pretty straightforward:
(IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the overwhelming response, we are temporarily not accepting new submissions at this time.)
- E-mail your article as an attachment (.txt, .rtf, or .doc formats only) to . If this is your first submission, please also include the following information:
- Your First and Last Name
- Your Mailing Address (payment will be sent here; U.S. mailing addresses only)
- Your Age (writers must be 18 years of age or older)
- Your Footer Blurb (up to 50 words, and may include information about yourself, including a link to your website)
- Minimum payout amount (optional; only provide if you don’t want a separate check sent for each article published)
Pseudonyms. If you prefer to publish under a pseudonym, or if you want checks to be made out to a name other than the one you provide (like a business name), please let us know. Please note that we cannot issue checks to pseudonyms, so you must provide your real name or business name. Don’t worry, we won’t disclose your real name if you prefer to write under another name or anonymously.
Previously published content. Please note that Punny Money cannot publish content previously published in any print or online medium in whole or in part. Sorry, new stuff only!
Rights and Licenses
You retain full copyright to all articles submitted to or published at Punny Money.
If your article is selected for publication, you grant us a non-exclusive license to use, display, republish, sell, edit, alter, or delete your article in any way and for any reason. In addition, you agree not to publish the article in part or in whole in any other print or online publication for 90 days following its initial publication on Punny Money.
We’ve set up a dedicated page to explain how you can make money writing for Punny Money. For now, it’s pretty much the same stuff as above, but we’ll update that page if anything changes. There are also some legal terms and conditions our lawyer makes us throw in so we don’t get sued three times a week, but they just reiterate what’s already been stated above.
Oh, and I should mention that Punny Money is not the only website operated by Punny LLC, so writers may also be given the opportunity to write for our other sites, too!