Punny Money Seeking Paid Writers
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the overwhelming response, we are temporarily not accepting new submissions at this time.
Wanna get paid money to write about money?
Punny Money is looking for freelance writers interested in authoring articles on personal finance topics.
What We’re Looking For
If you’re a regular reader, you already know what makes a great Punny Money article. If not, here’s what we’re looking for:
- It’s about personal finance. Punny Money is a personal finance website. Personal finance includes a wide spectrum of topics including (but not limited to) saving, budgeting, spending, investments, gaining and using credit, making money, working, paying taxes… pretty much anything having to do with people and money.
- It’s uniquely informative or educational. Punny Money is looking for original ideas, not information regurgitated from other sources.
- It’s humorous and entertaining. Personal finance can be a dry subject, but not at Punny Money! All articles undergo a rigorous 67-point humor and entertainment inspection before being released to the general public. A good sense of humor and knowledge of how to keep a reader entertained are an absolute must!
- It’s concise and captivating. Punny Money articles must grab the attention of the reader and get to the point quickly. While longer articles will be considered, length is far less important than content. Articles must, however, have a minimum length of 500 words to be considered for publication.
How You Get Paid
If your article is selected for publication on Punny Money, the absolute bare minimum you’ll make is $10. After your fifth published article, your rate will increase to $15 per article. After your 20th article, you’ll receive $20 per article. Bonuses will also be paid (at the discretion of the webmaster) for especially detailed, lengthy, or content-filled articles or if your article draws high traffic or readership participation. The following table summarizes the current Punny Money writing fees.
|Number of your articles published||Per-article rate|
|1 -5 (Tier 1)||$10|
|6 – 20 (Tier 2)||$15|
|21+ (Tier 3)||$20|
|Discretionary length/content bonuses||$5 – $15|
|Other discretionary bonuses||$5 – ???|
Payment is sent to you by check each time an article you’ve written is published, no minimum payout required. Optionally, you can request that checks only be sent when you’ve earned a certain amount.
Please note that if you earn $600 or more publishing articles on Punny Money in a single tax year, you will be asked to provide your social security or Federal tax identification number, and information about your earnings may be disclosed to the United States Internal Revenue Service.
What Else Is In It For You?
Good writers will be invited to write more. More writing means more money for you!
Writers can include their own blurb at the end of each article. You can provide information about yourself, including a link to your own website, in this blurb. Here’s an example:
Bob Jones is a software engineer and freelance writer from Cleveland, Ohio. He publishes a blog about widgets at Bob’s Widget Blog. He lives with his three wives and seven children in a floating castle made of cheese.
So not only do you get paid, but you can also get publicity for your own interwebical operations.
How to Get Started
Getting your article published on Punny Money is pretty straightforward:
(IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the overwhelming response, we are temporarily not accepting new submissions at this time.)
- E-mail your article as an attachment (.txt, .rtf, or .doc formats only) to . If this is your first submission, please also include the following information:
- Your First and Last Name
- Your Mailing Address (payment will be sent here; U.S. mailing addresses only)
- Your Age (writers must be 18 years of age or older)
- Your Footer Blurb (up to 50 words, and may include information about yourself, including a link to your website)
- Minimum payout amount (optional; only provide if you don’t want a separate check sent for each article published)
Pseudonyms. If you prefer to publish under a pseudonym, or if you want checks to be made out to a name other than the one you provide (like a business name), please let us know. Please note that we cannot issue checks to pseudonyms, so you must provide your real name or business name. Don’t worry, we won’t disclose your real name if you prefer to write under another name or anonymously.
Previously published content. Please note that Punny Money cannot publish content previously published in any print or online medium in whole or in part. Sorry, new stuff only!
“Two in the queue.” For now, we’re going to request that writers with two articles approved and scheduled for publication not submit another article until one of their scheduled articles is published. Also, please do not submit more than two articles for consideration at one time.
Rights and Licenses
You retain full copyright to all articles submitted to or published at Punny Money.
If your article is selected for publication, you grant us a non-exclusive license to use, display, republish, sell, edit, alter, or delete your article in any way and for any reason. In addition, you agree not to publish the article in part or in whole in any other print or online publication for 90 days following its initial publication on Punny Money.
Terms and Conditions
1. Introduction. These are the Terms and Conditions (”T&Cs”) between You and Punny LLC. By submitting an article to Punny Money for publication consideration, you agree to abide by these T&Cs. T&Cs may be updated at any time and become effective immediately.
2. Participation. Articles submitted to Punny Money are subject to Punny LLC prior approval and Your continued compliance with the T&Cs. Punny LLC reserves the right to refuse publication to any participant at any time in its sole discretion. By submitting an article to Punny Money, You represent that You are at least 18 years of age.
3. Payment. Payments will be made to you in accordance with currently published payment rates and terms posted on Punny Money.
4. Rights and Licenses. You retain full copyright to all articles submitted to or published at Punny Money. If your article is selected for publication, you agree to grant Punny LLC a non-exclusive license to use, display, republish, sell, edit, alter, or delete your article in any way and for any reason. In addition, you agree not to publish the article in part or in whole in any other print or online publication for 90 days following its initial publication on Punny Money.
5. Confidentiality. You agree not to disclose Punny LLC Confidential Information without Punny LLC’s prior written consent. “Punny LLC Confidential Information” includes without limitation any communications between Punny LLC and You or between You and Punny LLC.
6. Publicity. You agree that Punny LLC may use Your name in presentations, marketing materials, customer lists, financial reports, and web site listings of customers. If You wish to use Punny LLC’s trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos, domain names, and other distinctive brand features (”Brand Features”), You may do so only with the express written permission of Punny LLC.
7. Representations and Warranties. You represent and warrant that (a) all of the information provided by You to Punny LLC is correct and current; (b) You have all necessary right, power, and authority to enter into this agreement and to perform the acts required of You hereunder; and (c) You have complied and will continue to comply with all applicable laws, statutes, ordinances, and regulations (including without limitation the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 and any relevant data protection or privacy laws) in Your performance of any acts hereunder.
8. Your Obligation to Indemnify. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Punny LLC, its agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees, and applicable third parties (e.g. relevant advertisers, syndication partners, licensors, licensees, consultants and contractors) (collectively “Indemnified Person(s)”) harmless from and against any and all third party claims, liability, loss, and expense (including damage awards, settlement amounts, and reasonable legal fees), brought against any Indemnified Person(s), arising out of, related to or which may arise from Your use of Punny LLC’s publishing venues and/or Your breach of any term of this agreement.
9. Limitations of Liability; Force Majeure. EXCEPT FOR ANY INDEMNIFICATION AND CONFIDENTIALITY OBLIGATIONS HEREUNDER OR YOUR BREACH OF ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS AND/OR PROPRIETARY INTERESTS RELATING TO PUBLISHING ON PUNNY MONEY, (i) IN NO EVENT SHALL EITHER PARTY BE LIABLE UNDER THIS AGREEMENT FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES AND NOTWITHSTANDING ANY FAILURE OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF ANY LIMITED REMEDY AND (ii) PUNNY MONEY’S AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO THE WRITER UNDER THIS AGREEMENT FOR ANY CLAIM IS LIMITED TO THE NET AMOUNT PAID TO THE WRITER FOR ANY CURRENTLY PUBLISHED ARTICLE AS OF THE DATE OF THE CLAIM. Each party acknowledges that the other party has entered into this agreement relying on the limitations of liability stated herein and that those limitations are an essential basis of the bargain between the parties. Without limiting the foregoing and except for payment obligations, neither party shall have any liability for any failure or delay resulting from any condition beyond the reasonable control of such party, including but not limited to governmental action or acts of terrorism, earthquake or other acts of God, labor conditions, and power failures.
10. Information Rights. Punny LLC may retain and use all information You provide, including but not limited to contact and billing information. You agree that Punny LLC may transfer and disclose to third parties (such as banks issuing payments to you) personally identifiable information about You for the purpose of approving and enabling Your participation in Punny LLC publishing programs, including to third parties that reside in jurisdictions with less restrictive data laws than Your own. Punny LLC may also provide information in response to valid legal process, such as subpoenas, search warrants and court orders, or to establish or exercise its legal rights or defend against legal claims. Punny LLC disclaims all responsibility, and will not be liable to You, however, for any disclosure of that information by any such third party. Punny LLC may share non-personally-identifiable information about You with advertisers, business partners, sponsors, and other third parties.
11. Miscellaneous. This agreement shall be governed by the laws of Maryland, except for its conflicts of laws principles. Any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with this agreement shall be adjudicated in Montgomery County, Maryland. The parties specifically exclude from application to the agreement the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods and the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act. This agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof. Any modifications to this agreement must be made in a writing executed by both parties, by Your online acceptance of updated terms, or after Your continued participation in the Program after such terms have been updated by Punny LLC. The failure to require performance of any provision shall not affect a party’s right to require performance at any time thereafter, nor shall a waiver of any breach or default of this agreement constitute a waiver of any subsequent breach or default or a waiver of the provision itself. If any provision herein is held unenforceable, then such provision will be modified to reflect the parties’ intention, and the remaining provisions of this agreement will remain in full force and effect. You may not resell, assign, or transfer any of Your rights hereunder. Any such attempt may result in termination of this agreement, without liability to Punny LLC. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Punny LLC may assign this agreement to any affiliate at any time without notice. The relationship between Punny LLC and You is not one of a legal partnership relationship, but is one of independent contractors.
Updates To This Page
July 25, 2007: Added the “Two in the queue” policy under “How to Get Started.”