We just lost power here at Punny Money Headquarters, and since my laptop only has half a charge left, I better type quickly. Should you find yourself without power during this hot summer season, here are a few tips to help you stay cool while the lights are out.
- Drink a lot of water. The Center For Disease Control and Prevention recommends you drink a glass of fluids every 15 to 20 minutes during a power outage on a hot summer day.
- Dress appropriately. I just kicked this one up a notch. That’s right, folks; I’m blogging naked!
- Take a cold shower. Hop in the shower every couple of hours for an instant cool-off.
- Cover south-facing windows. That’s where you’ll get most of the heat entering your house. Draw the blinds or close the curtains to help keep the inside of your house a little cooler.
- Go somewhere cool. Hop in your car and listen to the radio for news of how widespread the outage is. Then drive outside the affected area and find an air-conditioned public area like a museum, indoor shopping mall, or library. If you have an answering machine hooked into your home phone, you can call from your cell phone while away to see if the power’s back on; remember, the answering machine needs power to catch calls.
Please feel free to share your tips for keeping frosting during summer power outages by commenting here or sending them to Punny Money.
Now to wait for the power to return so I can post this…