A while back I bookmarked this article at eHow regarding the assembly of a man’s basic wardrobe. The author suggests that a man can get away with as little as 14 items of clothing hanging in his closet. Here are the items on the list along with my comments on the suggested quantities.
- 1 Sport Coat/Blazer. I have two of these, one in blue and one in gray. I guess you could get away with just one if you don’t need to wear it daily. Otherwise, get a second to keep things from getting boring.
- 2-3 Button-Down Shirts. Yes, always have a basic white dress shirt in your closet. For the rest, I like to liven things up with more exciting colors and patterns.
- 1 Casual Shirt. I think this article assumes you work seven days a week and have no free time. I have a small army of polo shirts at the ready, but that’s partly because I wear them everyday at work.
- 1 Sweater. How about no sweaters instead? They’re itchy and usually come in silly designs. Stick with heavy long-sleeved shirts with an undershirt in the winter.
- 1 Pair of Dress Slacks. Get two pair: one gray, one navy. I need to get both!
- 1 Pair of Khakis. The staple of my lower half! I have two pairs, a lighter and darker shade of khaki. Look for wrinkle-free, stain-resistant khakis especially if you wear them to work daily like me.
I will continue this article in the next hour, so stay tuned!