The 32 teams are set and the randomized brackets have been generated for the first Punny Money Super Stock Pick Tournament. You’ll find the team rosters immediately below and the brackets for the first round at the bottom of this post. The opening round runs through this Friday, June 30th at 4pm EDT when 16 losing teams will be eliminated.
So check out the teams and brackets, and feel free to throw out guesses as to which set of five stock picks will walk away with the tournament crown!
1. Completely Random Selection from NYSE (Random NYSE)
Five totally random picks from the New York Stock Exchange.
- Assurant Inc. (AIZ)
- Colgate-Palmolive Company (CL)
- MBIA Inc. (MBI)
- Rockwell Automation Inc. (ROK)
- TRW Automotive Holdings Corp. (TRW)
2. Completely Random Selection from NASDAQ (Random NASDAQ)
Five totally random picks from the NASDAQ.
- Akamai Technologies (AKAM)
- Emmis Communications Corporation (EMMS)
- Glenayre Technologies, Inc. (GEMS)
- Lam Research Corporation (LRCX)
- Techne Corporation (TECH)
3. Completely random picks from AMEX (Random AMEX)
Five totally random picks from the American Stock Exchange.
- Akorn, Inc. (AKN)
- GeoGlobal Resources Inc. (GGR)
- Grey Wolf, Inc. (GW)
- Memry Corporation (MRY)
- PLC Systems Inc. (PLC)
4. Cool-Looking Stock Symbols (Cool Tickers)
If there’s a stock with a ticker symbol like BOOBS or GROOVY, it’s going on this team.
- Majesco Entertainment Co. (COOL)
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (HOT)
- Internet America, Inc. (GEEK.OB)
- Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV)
- Cedar Fair, L.P. (FUN)
5. Spam E-mail Picks (Spam Picks)
This team will be made up of picks “recommended” by unsolicited e-mails that have found their way to my inbox.
- IFSA Strongman Inc. (ISMN.OB)
- Infinex Ventures Inc. (INFX.OB)
- Falcon Energy Inc. (FCYI.PK)
- HE-5 Resources Corp. (HRRP.PK)
- Cereplast Inc. (CERP.OB)
6. Alphabetically First on NYSE (ABC First)
The first five companies listed in the “A” section of the NYSE.
- A.O. Smith Corporation (AOS)
- A.G. Edwards Inc. (AGE)
- AAG Holding Company, Inc. (GFZ)
- AAG Holding Company, Inc. (GFW)
- Aames Investment Corporation (AIC)
7. Alphabetically Last on NYSE (ABC Last)
The last five companies listed in the “Z” section of the NYSE.
- The Zweig Total Return Fund, Inc. (ZTR)
- The Zweig Fund, Inc. (ZF)
- Zenix Income Fund Inc. (ZIF)
- Zenith National Insurance Corp. (ZNT)
- Zapata Corporation (ZAP)
8. Number Companies on NYSE (123s)
Some picks from the companies with names starting with a 0-9 digit.
- 21st Century Insurance Group (TW)
- 3M Company (MMM)
- 4 Kids Entertainment, Inc. (KDE)
- 40/86 Strategic Income Fund (CFD)
- 99 Cents Only Stores (NDN)
9. Attack of the Vowels (Vowels)
I’ll be looking for lots of vowels in ticker symbols for this team. Maybe “Y” can join, too.
- Altana AG (AAA)
- Educate Inc. (EEEE)
- SPDR O-Strip (OOO)
- Universal Security Instruments Inc. (UUU)
- Alleghany Corp. (Y)
10. Highest Single-Day Price Percent Gainers on NYSE (1-Day Gainers)
The five stocks with the biggest percentage gain on Friday, June 23rd.
- Western Gas Resources, Inc. (WGR)
- Kerr-McGee Corporation (KMG)
- PCCW Limited (PCW)
- CONSOL Energy Inc. (CNX)
- Southwestern Energy Company (SWN)
11. Highest Single-Day Price Percent Losers on NYSE (1-Day Losers)
The five stocks with the biggest percentage loss on Friday, June 23rd.
- Six Flags, Inc. (SIX)
- Build-A-Bear Workshop, Inc. (BBW)
- City National Corporation (CYN)
- Fedders Corporation (FJC)
- Tektronix, Inc. (TEK)
12. Highest Single-Day Volume Leaders on NYSE (1-Day Volume)
The five stocks with the biggest trade volume on Friday, June 23rd.
- Kerr-McGee Corporation (KMG)
- Nortel Networks Corporation (NT)
- Ford Motor Company (F)
- Sprint Nextel Corporation (S)
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (APC)
13. Single-Day Upgrades From Briefing.com (1-Day Upgrades)
Five stocks upgraded on Friday, June 23rd.
- Coinstar Inc. (CSTR) (Neutral to Buy)
- Morningstar Inc. (MORN) (Buy to Strong Buy)
- Multimedia Games Inc. (MGAM) (Neutral to Buy)
- Pike Electric Corp. (PEC) (Hold to Buy)
- Sovran Self Storage Inc. (SSS) (Sector Perform to Outperform)
14. Single-Day Downgrades From Briefing.com (1-Day Downgrades)
Five stocks downgraded on Friday, June 23rd.
- Fleetwood Enterprises Inc. (FLE) (Buy to Neutral)
- Neurocrine Biosciences Inc. (NBIX) (Hold to Sell)
- QUALCOMM Inc. (QCOM) (Overweight to Neutral)
- Sunterra Corp. (SNRR) (Buy to Neutral)
- Volt Information Sciences Inc. (VOL) (Hold to Sell)
15. Past Employers (Past Employers)
Stocks of companies I or my wife have worked for in the past. Amazon’s on there from all those bucks I made with Mechanical Turk a while back.
- Barnes & Noble Inc. (BKS)
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (KKD)
- Factory Card & Party Outlet Corporation (FCPO)
- Panera Bread Co. (PNRA)
- Amazon.com, Inc. (AMZN)
16. Local Stocks (Local Stocks)
Stocks of companies based in Montgomery County, Maryland or Washington, D.C.
- Pepco Holdings Inc. (POM)
- MedImmune Inc. (MEDI)
- Marriott International Inc. (MAR)
- Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMT)
- Gene Logic Inc. (GLGC)
17. The Axis of Evil (Axis of Evil)
Some corporations have earned the label of “evil” over the years. You’ll find the five evilest of them all on this team.
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT)
- ExxonMobil Corporation (XOM)
- McDonald’s Corporation (MCD)
- Philip Morris (Altria Group, Inc.) (MO)
- Microsoft (MSFT)
18. “Good” Companies (Good Team)
They might not be true angels of the business world, but if they have “good” in their names, they’ll make this team.
- Gladstone Commercial Corporation (GOOD)
- Goodrich Corporation (GR)
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. (GT)
- Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. (DKS)
- Good Times Restaurants Inc. (GTIM)
19. Internet Slang Team (Internet Slang)
WTF? A team full of internet slang ticker symbols? LMAO!
- OM Group Inc. (OMG)
- Brunswick Bancorp (BRB)
- Ambac Finl Grp 7.0% Debs (AFK)
- Wachovia Corp. (WB)
- New Ireland Fund (IRL)
20. Products In Our Home (Home Products)
Stocks of companies whose products are in our home right now.
- General Mills, Inc. (GIS) (Fiber One Cereal)
- Safeway Inc. (SWY) (Multiple products)
- ConAgra Foods, Inc. (CAG) (Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate Mix)
- Kellogg Company (K) (Pop Tarts)
- General Electric Company (GE) (Light bulbs)
21. First Products I See Advertised on TV (TV Ads)
On Friday, June 23rd, I turned on the TV during The Price is Right and picked stocks based on the companies for which I saw commercials.
- Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT) (Fruit2O)
- AstraZeneca PLC (AZN) (Crestor)
- The Procter & Gamble Company (PG) (Pantene Shampoo)
- GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK) (Boniva)
- Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK-B) (GEICO)
22. Beer Stocks (Beer Stocks)
Like the name says, stocks of beer makers.
- The Boston Beer Company, Inc. (SAM)
- Anheuser-Busch Companies Inc. (BUD)
- Redhook Ale Brewery Inc. (HOOK)
- Granite City Food & Brewery Ltd. (GCFB)
- Molson Coors Brewing Company (TAP)
23. Internet Giants (Internet Giants)
A team made up of the big boys of the World Wide Web. (Sorry, but Punny Money isn’t a publicly traded stock… yet.)
- Yahoo! Inc. (YHOO)
- Google Inc. (GOOG)
- Time Warner Inc. (TWX)
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT)
- eBay Inc. (EBAY)
24. Car Wars (Car Wars)
Rivals of the automotive world team up to vie for the stock tournament championship title.
- Daimlerchrysler AG (DCX)
- Toyota Motor Corp. (TM)
- Ford Motor Co. (F)
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. (NSANY)
- General Motors Corporation (GM)
25. The Take Charge Team (Take Charge)
A team made up of companies in the credit business.
- MasterCard, Inc. (MA)
- American Express Company (AXP)
- Capital One Financial Corp. (COF)
- Credit Suisse Group (CSR)
- Equifax Inc. (EFX)
26. Vanguard VIPERs (VIPERs)
Not quite stocks, these exchange-traded funds from Vanguard are traded on AMEX, so they’re subject to the same trade rules as regular stocks. I’ll pick five from the couple dozen or so VIPERs available.
- Vanguard Total Stock Market VIPERs (VTI)
- Vanguard Mid-Cap VIPERs (VO)
- Vanguard Growth VIPERs (VUG)
- Vanguard Energy VIPERs (VDE)
- Vanguard Pacific VIPERs (VPL)
27. Captain Planet Team (Planeteers)
The Planeteers have saved the Earth from environmental destruction countless times. Now can they take on the biggest challenge of their lives–the Punny Money Super Stock Pick Tournament?
- Earthlink, Inc. (ELNK)
- United Fire & Casualty (UFCS)
- Wind River Systems, Inc. (WIND)
- Waters Corporation (WAT)
- Heartland Express Inc. (HTLD)
28. Tegan’s Picks (Wife’s Picks)
Stock picks straight from my wife.
- Wendy’s International (WEN)
- The Walt Disney Company (DIS)
- Payless ShoeSource, Inc. (PSS) (I said, “Their stock is down today.” She replied with a whimper, “But… but everybody likes to pay less.”)
- The Hershey Company (HSY) (“A smile in candy form” was her reason for this pick.)
- Revlon, Inc. (REV)
29. My Semi-Intelligent Picks (Nick’s Picks)
Nick plays stock market analyst with amusing results! I’ll be shocked if this team makes it to Round Two.
- Circuit City Stores, Inc. (CC). It exceeded first quarter expectations, is expected to sell tons of high-definition TVs in coming months, and has always been my favorite big-name electronics store.
- Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. (BBBY)–solely based on its appearance in the new Adam Sandler movie, “Click.”
- J.C. Penney Company, Inc. (JCP). I bought some nice shirts and shorts from them the other day.
- HSBC Holdings PLC (HBC). They have most of my money, so they must be good!
- Celera Genomics, Applera Corp (CRA). On Friday, this company predicted profitability by 2008 (15-20% by 2011). I guess I can wait that long.
30. Professional Stock Picks From CNBC (CNBC Picks)
The top-performing picks from CNBC investing experts as of Sunday, June 25th.
- Celadon Group, Inc. (CLDN)
- NII Holdings, Inc. (NIHD)
- Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (GS)
- Frontier Oil Corporation (FTO)
- Gerdau AmeriSteel Corporation (GNA)
31. Random Selection From BlogsOnTrading.com (BlogsOnTrading.com)
An anonymous reader suggested the 31st category contain some stock picks from writers listed on BlogsOnTrading.com.
- Kyphon Inc. (KYPH)
- Garmin Ltd. (GRMN)
- OGE Energy Corp. (OGE)
- US Energy Systems Inc. (USEY)
- Ryder System Inc. (R)
32. Reader Recommendations (Reader Picks)
Thanks to the forum-goers at the MBN Forums and to several readers who posted and e-mailed their picks for this team.
- Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL)
- Home Depot Inc. (HD)
- Merge Healthcare (MRGE)
- Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. (SIRI)
- AT&T Inc. (T)
Super Stock Pick Tournament Brackets
Ooh, my picks are up against my wife’s in Week One. The suspense!